Thursday, May 20, 2010

On the Corfu Trail










We have been on 6 hikes so far and have 1 more to go. In total we will have hiked 96km. Besides spectacular views, fresh air, interesting foliage, donkeys, cats, dogs, birds and pleasant company, the hikes are physically challenging. Usually we start by going up hill, with some relatively flat lags, then when reach the peak we have lunch, then head back down via a different route. One hike our leader called "the buns of steel hike" but I think that they all are in this category. The trail itself is sometimes flat, sometimes along a road and other times is very rocky and difficult to navigate- you need to have alot of agility -especially if the rocks are wet due to the rain. Occasionally we have had to "bushwack" our way through and a few times we have had to help each other through tough spots (see photo above - with my group leader waiting to help me down an 8 foot gully). So far I have only fallen twice and both times I automatically shot my right broken wrist straight up into the air and did not land on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment