Thursday, June 11, 2009

Capoeira


This area of Brazil is famous for Capoeira a type of dance that mixes martial arts, gymnastics and music. It was developed by the African slaves and it is a huge part of the culture here.
Every Wednesday night we have a Capoeira class with a dance teacher named Fernado. I have had two so far and it is extremely hard but alot of fun. Fernando warms us up with stretches (and adding to the difficulty we each take turns counting in Portuguese up to about 160) then he teaches us the basic steps. We've learned about 6 steps/moves. Capoeira moves include kicks, spinning and cartwheels. I think I have almost mastered one of them (the first one). After reviewing each step he then practices that move with us one on one. Once we have it, or sort of have it, he then faces us and mirrors the movement without contact. It is pretty neat looking. After going through the lesson part we then pull all the steps together and "play" with him. I think we are supposed to try to take him down by contact but so far he's taken us all down after a few minutes.
I plan on continuimg to take the classes while I am here, but I think I'll need to keep my day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment