Friday, June 26, 2009

Last Day with the Kids



Today was my last day volunteering at the orphanage, and tomorrow I leave for Canada.
As a special treat we brought in cookies (trans fat - free) and tons of prints of photos we'd taken of them. They loved it! For the main caretaker whom I worked with, Mara, I made a small photo album of her with the children. For the two teens, I also made small albums. The rest of the kids glued the photos on Bristol board (which we put up) and kept some photos of themselves.
When it was almost to leave, the children surprised us with singing us some songs, dancing with us while they sang, and at the very end, running over to us with hugs and kisses and goodbyes. It was so touching. One boy, who is about 10 years old, quietly came up to me in the hall afterwards and hugged me tightly. When I looked down at him I saw that he was crying. He began to cry harder and didn't want to let me go. It was so hard to leave them, especially since being left is such a big part of their lives. I only hope we did more good than harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment