Monday, June 1, 2009

Exploring Salvador


Yesterday was my first full day in Salvador and although I was exhausted I wanted to get out and start exploring the neighbourhood and city. In the morning we all went to the closest beach which is only a fifteen minute walk from our Home Base. It was small but beautiful with high waves (well at least they were high to me) and quite strong. Those of us who went in the water were careful and stayed together. The sand was fine and soft and it was a sunny day with a nice breeze. We stayed for a couple of hours then headed back to the Home Base for lunch.
In the afternoon my roomate (Liliane) and I went to Pelouriho which is Salvador's Historical District. While there we discovered that it was "African Day" and with live music and dancing they were celebrating their strong African heritage, a heritage that is embraced by everyone.
I am looking forward to getting to know the city and its culture in more depth.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment