Friday, September 11, 2009

Auntie Margie catches the big one!


This August I was priviledged enough to go on a luxury fishing trip with my Auntie Margie on Separation Lake near Kenora. For Margie, fishing is something she loves to do, for me it was more of a new experience and it was fun to go with someone who enjoys it so much.

Now when I say "luxury" I mean luxury. There was a guide (Fred) who did everything for us- take us to different places on the lake, set up our rods with louers and bait, coach us through catching the fish and make a fantastic shore lunch everyday for us (with the fish we just caught). If I'd had known that to get bait on my hook all I had to do was swivel with my rod, in my cushioned seat, passing the end to a person like Fred I would have done this sooner! Other times I have been ou fishing it hasn't worked quite like that.

We caught 40-80 fish each day (for three days) and saw about 40 American Bald Eagles (who also watched us carefully while we were fishing!). Margie caught the biggest one- a 40 inch Northern Pike- a record for her. I caught a 38 inch Northern Pike and a 27 inch Pikeral. Not only was the fishing great, but the scenery was amazing. There is nowhere like Ontario.

During this trip I also remembered my Uncle Bob who used to enjoy fishing himself and, 45 years ago, worked as a guide at this same camp. Hope he was watching us...

No comments:

Post a Comment