Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Indian Style


In this photo I am pictured wearing Salwaar Kamize (traditional Indian clothing that is worn in Dharamsala). In order to gain respect and be taken more seriously at our placements, CCS (Cross Cultural Solutions) would like the women to wear traditional clothing to work. On the first day of arrival they took us to a clothing store to purchase a couple of outfits. The store was filled with beautiful colours, fabrics and styles. Most of us though, including me, were so tired from the trip that we found it difficult to decide on what we needed. In the end I bought this outfit, and a another top (Kurta) that matches all for $42.00. After this picture was taken one of the female staff, Monica, helped me arrange my scarf (well actually she just did for me) so it sits properly and pinned it to keep it from falling off.
The clothing is so comfortable that we all enjoy wearing our outfits even after work is done. The women in the community have commented that they appreciate that foreigners are wearing their clothes. I plan on going to a local tailor to have more outfits made.

No comments:

Post a Comment