Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Indian Food





Rakesh, our cook prepares our meals for us here at the house. The days alternate between Indian and American food; the American foods, such as pizza or chicken burgers, still have an India touch to them. Over the years CCS has found that this formula works best for us volunteers who are experiencing many differences from our home life in a short time.
The Indian food is really popular in my group for all but 2 of us. Unfortunately for myself, I find it too spicy and strong as does Anna (a 9 year old volunteer here with her family) so Rakesh separates out part of the meal before he adds the spices just for Anna and me. Although secretly I still find ours too spicy (Anna does as well, she eats a lot of PB&J sandwiches). I like to try a small bit of everything and somewhat enjoy the chick pea and lentil dishes if I can dilute the spices sufficiently with yogurt and naan.
For those of you familiar with Indian food, Rakesh prepares dishes such as: Tandoori Chicken, Jeera Aloo, Mutton/ Chicken Curry, Baingan Bharrta, Chana, Bhatura, Pao Bhaji, Dal Arhar, Gobhi Masala, Mutter Paneer, Dal Masoor. These are served with naan, rice and yogurt.
Overall Indian food is just not my thing – I knew this before I came here and I have now confirmed it. Those that like Indian food constantly rave about how good it is here and how much they enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - you learn something new everyday. I thought you liked Indian food - rememmber Mom's 70th last year @ Makut!! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dad
    No I just go along with the rest of the family...are you sure I am not adopted?
    love Sue

    ReplyDelete